Monday, June 13, 2011

Faster than a Cheetah

I have told my second grade class that I will be teaching in Africa next year.  There was quite the mix of emotions ranging from shock to sadness.  I absolutely love the responses of my students as they always express what they feel.  One was concerned that I would be trampled on by an elephant.  Another student came in one morning clutching a picture from a magazine in his hand.  He had this look of absolute urgency as he informed me, "Ms. Herbst, you cannot go to Africa!"  I was a bit surprised and asked him why.  He proceeded to tell me that there are Cheetahs in Africa that chase the planes as they are leaving.  He showed me this picture that he was holding and he looked very fearful.  My response was, "Didn't you know I can run faster than a Cheetah?"  After I took a closer look at the picture, I shared with this student that I had just spent time the night before looking for a flight on Ethiopian Airlines. We agreed this was quite the coincidence.  I now have a ticket on Ethiopian airlines for July 29th.  I know I won't be able to help myself from smiling as I board the plane and will most definitely glance out the window as I land to see if there is indeed, a Cheetah chasing me! 

1 comment: