Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Swimming in 1st grade

I still haven't quite gotten over the fact that my first graders swim for P.E. class once a week.  Now that the weather has heated up (today was 91 degrees F), it is the weekly P.E. activity for our class.  Ms. Baker is our P.E. teacher and she's absolutely fantastic with the little ones.  The past few weeks have been spent in the kiddie pool, blowing bubbles and kicking.  Today we started with this and then moved over to the big pool where each student was able to jump into the water.  It was fun to see their personalities come out in their approach.  Some jumped in with absolutely no fear and huge smiles on their faces, while others were timid or even a bit scared to jump in the water and needed reassurance and a hand to hold as they jumped.  I know my students look forward to swimming each week and today they looked forward to it even more as today was the first day I actually got in the pool with them.  This is such a foreign concept for me, as I've never imagined swimming with my students in the middle of the school day.  However, it is one that I'm starting to enjoy as the days are becoming increasingly hotter and as I love to see the joy on my students' faces as they get in the water.  Here's a few pictures from today. 

This is in the kiddie pool.  I love the goggles and the toothless grin!  The swim caps are also a nice touch!
Some of the boys in the kiddie pool.  They sure do love swimming!  

I love the swim caps once they are on. I hate trying to help put them on as it's so difficult to get them over their hair!  The one in the middle has pony tails that I had to try and get around.  Needless to say, it took a while.  

Here they are, all lined up and receiving instructions from our P.E. teacher before jumping in.  

This one has absolutely no fear!  


This absolutely cracked me up.  After swimming, they all lay out on the stones to "warm" up.  Sometimes I forget that my body is not accustomed to this heat as I would rather stay in the water to cool off.  It also reminds me of the turtles that climb up on logs to sun themselves.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Christy -
    I LOVE the pictures of your class and of the beautiful babies! Misha and I are just now catching up after a few weeks away from your blog. Quite a coincidence about the creepy crawlers upsetting your students and the unintentional disturbance of a bee hive by Dawn and Rebecca's class last week! Anyway, you look fantastic and we are so jealous here in the cold! I could see my breath today...but I do have to say that those Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Lattes and the new Salted Caramel Lattes hit the spot on days like today...Misha just said that my comment will make you jealous. You get sunshine and 90 degrees...we get pumpkin spice and salted caramel lattes...it's all a wash! It's so good to hear that you're loving the experience and that you are living your dream! Misha and I miss you a lot! Take good care! Shari & Misha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shari and Misha!
    Thank you so much for writing. Misha is correct, just the thought of a pumpkin spice latte or salted caramel latte makes me jealous beyond belief! You will have to drink one for me. It could be a wash, but this heat is killing me! I'm hot all of the time! I'd trade you right now for the cold, fall weather, but then again, the grass is always greener on the other side right? I'll try and be thankful for the sunshine. Miss you guys so much. I hope all is well and I have no doubt that Dawn and Rebecca are loving Misha just as much as she's loving them, what a perfect fit!

    ReplyDelete