Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Texas road trip

A theme in my life lately has been travel.  I continued with this theme Friday when I packed a smaller bag from my bigger bag and headed out from Virginia with my mom, dad, sister Hanna, and her boyfriend Greg.  We embarked on the 22 hour drive to Dallas, Texas.  We came equipped with walkie-talkies, two Garmens, and snacks.  We traveled in two vehicles, one being Hanna's car and one being a moving van.  I am so thrilled for Hanna's new job and for her move to Dallas.  I am so thankful that I am able to be a part of this move.  I know it will help to be able to picture where she is living and to know that I've been to her apartment.  This makes me feel so much closer to my sister and it also brings me comfort to know that we can both relate to so many changes in our lives.  


My Aunt Louise and Uncle Manny live about 25 minutes away from where Hanna will be living.  We have been staying with them this week as we've been apartment hunting and helping Hanna to settle in.  I have been overwhelmed by the love I feel from my family and for the amazing hospitality.  We have eaten the most incredible food including steak and chicken with homemade chimichuri sauce complimented with roasted potatoes, salmon with a yogurt cucumber dill sauce and asparagus, and barbecue pork tenderloin with collard greens and smokehouse baked beans. We have sat around the table at the end of each meal, enjoying each other's company.  These meals together and the time spent sitting around and talking, have been some of my favorite moments.  We also watched Jeopardy together last night and I absolutely loved hearing everyone's affirmation, mainly the line, "Good one, Honey" addressed to just about everyone in the room.  

I will fly back to Richmond on Thursday and then have a week to finish up with packing before heading to Africa on the 29th.  For now, I will continue to enjoy time with my family, knowing we are creating memories that will carry me through when I am a continent away.  

No comments:

Post a Comment